Thursday 27 September 2012

Lemon Polenta Springerle Cookies


Whenever I bake a batch of cookies, I have started using some of the mix to see how it works with a Springerle mould. You may have noticed, I have a couple of favourite springerle moulds...

This is part of the batch of dough for the Triple Rose Lemon Polenta cookies. The design on the cookies hasn't come out quite as crisp as I would like, if I was making a batch of cookie dough just for moulding with the Springerles, I would use three tablespoons of egg white rather than a whole egg as this tends to give a better result.

This is my very favourite Springerle Mould, the Round Rose from House on The Hill.



Moulding the Cookies

To mould the cookies, roll out the dough about 1cm thick. (Use marzipan rollers or spacers to get an even thickness) It is usually recommended that you dust the mould with flour, I prefer to dust a light layer of flour on top of my rolled cookie dough and gently smooth it over with my fingers. Once rolled, gently, but firmly and evenly, press the mould on to the dough to make the impression. If you are happy with the moulding, use a suitable sized cookie cutter to cut out the cookie and put it on a baking / cookie sheet that has baking parchment or a non stick silicone sheet on it. It sometimes takes a couple of goes to get the hang of moulding the cookies so don't get disheartened if it doesn't come out right first time. Just knead re-roll and try again. If your dough is sticky, try kneading in a little more flour or putting the dough in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes.

Once your cookies are all beautifully lined up on your baking / cookie sheet, put them in the freezer for about 15 minutes before baking. This helps stop the cookies spreading whilst they are baking. Baking at a slightly lower temperature can also help stop them spreading and give a crisper design.


This is my other very favourite cookie mould, Amo Te, also from House on the Hill, (isn't it beautiful)




And here is the matching Amo Te Lemon Polenta Cookie. A tad over baked on the point, good job Paul and Mary aren't judging these ...


That's all for today
Thanks for popping by and please call again soon

Keep up with my latest creations and inspirations in all these places

Follow Me on Pinterest






No comments:

Post a Comment