- Beat the icing / confectioners sugar with the butter or margarine and the Red Velvet Emulsion till just blended, but the colour is well mixed through. (The smell is amazing)
- Add the egg and beat again until just mixed
- Mix the flour and cocoa powder together lightly
- Beat the flour mix into the butter and sugar mix. Your mixer might rubble a bit, keep it on a low speed, the mixture will go bread crumby and then will start to come together. When the mix forms into larger balls, you are ready to begin.
Rolling and making the cookies
- Take out a couple of good handfuls of the mixture and press / knead together until you have a smooth ball.
- Roll out about 5mm thick (I use marzipan spacers to help)
- Sprinkle and spread a very thin layer of flour over to stop the mould from sticking
- Take your Springerle Mould press down really firmly on top of you dough. Carefully lift off using the little ring on top
- Check the impression if happy, cut out with your cutter or knife, otherwise, knead together and re-roll
- Place carefully on baking tray and use a dry pastry brush to gently brush off as much of the flour as you can
- Place the tray in the freezer and leave for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Bake for around 10 to 15 minutes (check regularly)