Friday 20 July 2012

Bye Bye Brownies

I made these brownies for my lovely friend who is off to start a new job, so I won't be seeing so much of this lovely lady. I won't embarrass her by telling you her name. These are to say good luck in your new job and I'm going to miss you, though I'm sure I will see you real soon ...



I made these using my favourite traditional brownie recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook. Even if you are not normally a great baker, all you have to do is weigh out the ingredients, melt the butter and chocolate and then stir in the other ingredients. So easy even a child can make these, in fact my three year old son did make them.

We were home earlier that usual he had been for a taster session at his new school. I can't believe that my three year old is starting big school in about six weeks. To be fair he is four in a couple of days, but he still seems very little for big school. Still, at least when he starts school we will get to spend a bit more time together, as I will leave work a little earlier to meet him from school.



If you fancy having a go at these, here's how.

You will need a batch of brownies baked in a sheet pan and cut out using a heart cutter.

Chocolate Sugar paste
Lilac coloured sugar paste (I used a ready coloured one from Regalice)
A small rolling pin
A hear shaped cutter (this one is from Wilton's from the heart set)
Sugarflair lustre in Dusky Lilac
A small clean paint brush or two

In addition, for the different types of brownie you need


For the hearts with roses
A Lace mould or embossing mat, I used this one
Squires Kitchen Mould Lace Intricate Floral
A Rose mould, shop bought icing roses or hand made roses
I used the roses galore mould from first impressions to make these

Method
Roll out the chocolate sugar paste about half a cm thick
Put the lace mould on top and roll over it with the rolling pin
Lift the mould and cut out the heart shape
Place the moulded heart onto a brownie
Roll a ball of lilac fondant for the rose
Press it into one of the moulds
Remove any excess and tidy up the edges
Flex the silicone to pop the moulded rose out
Gently brush the dusky lilac lustre dust over the rose

For the hearts with letters

Lace mould or embossing mat as above
Letter cutters. I used Patchwork Cutters.

Method
Mould and cut the chocolate sugar paste as above
Roll out a small amount of lilac sugar paste
Brush all over with the dusky lilac
Cut out the letters and remove the excess paste
Use the letter cutter to gently make an impression on the moulded chocolate sugar paste
Gently lift the letter and ease into place using the impression as a guide.





For the springerle moulded brownie

You need this beautiful springerle mould from House on the Hill
Green Luster dust. I used Squires Kitchen Bridal Satin in Myrtle

Method
Roll out lilac sugar paste about 1cm thick
Place the springerle mould on top and press down firmly. (My sugar paste didn't feel sticky so I didn't use anything to help stop it sticking to the mould, if yours feels even slightly sticky, smear a little vegetable fat on to the sugar paste before moulding)
Cut out a shape the same size as your cut out brownies and place on  top
Paint the heart and flowers with the dusky lilac lustre dust
Finally paint the leaves with the myrtle lustre dust

All done. Beautiful. Even though I do say so myself!


That's all for today
Thanks for popping by and please call again soon

Keep up with my latest creations and inspirations in all these places

Follow Me on Pinterest





2 comments:

  1. House-on-the-Hill has a special heart-shaped cutter to fit the Amo Te mold. I ordered one last year and it made all the difference. Your springerle-topped brownies are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you

    I have a cutter that fits too, sometimes I like to use this one for a different look.

    ReplyDelete