Sunday 24 March 2013

Happy Birthday to Me!!


I nearly didn't bother with a Birthday cake for myself, I had so many other things to do, then, on the morning of my Birthday, me little boy was talking to me in such an excited manner about blowing out the candles on my cake, that I knew I needed to make one, for him, if not for me. I'm selfless like that you see. (?!)

So a little after seven O Clock in the morning, a three layer six inch vanilla cake was baking in the oven and this is the story of what happened to it, later that day, with the help of my aforementioned little boy.

I wanted to share this cake, with you, not because it is the best cake that I ever made, but to show that a cake can be put together in a short amount of time and still look impressive (well, I think so), though any of you who may have been to pastry school, may not be impressed with some of my techniques, or rather, lack of them.

I based the cake on a recipe from Tea With Bea, which is my go to book for special occasions cakes and one of my favourite books

This is the first layer of the cake, generously spread, with a layer of vanilla pastry cream and then sprinkled with fresh raspberries. This was the first time I have made pastry cream, I have to say, it was a lot, lot easier than I ever expected

 

Another layer of vanilla sponge, same as the last with more pastry cream and raspberries



The third and final layer of sponge on top, this picture really makes me smile, such a topsy looking cake - not very professional! I did give it a good squash and level up before going covering with icing.



So, the crowning glory, a few minutes with sugar syrup and a sugar thermometer and my first Italian Meringue is spread all over the cake. I made a bit of a mistake here as, just as I had finished whipping up the meringue, it was time for the school run. I continued with the cake when I got back, but, should have given the meringue a good beating again to ensure it was smooth and glossy, there are a few slightly too large air bubbles here spoiling the finish a little



 Topped off with a little swirly piping using my current favourite nozzle / tip the Ateco 887.


A quick whizz over with a cooks blow torch, a sprinkling of the few raspberries that my son hadn't eaten and voila! ready to serve, topped with this amazing candle candelabra. I love the way the blow torching changes this cake from looking all sweet and innocent in white to something so different.


One last, thing to do, candles lit and blown out, lets all have a piece.

That's all for today
Thanks for popping by and please call again soon

Keep up with my latest creations and inspirations in all these places

Follow Me on Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment